Question
Posted by: Sam | 2008/08/28

Chronic Neuropathic Pain

Hi I have chronic neuropathic pain, due to a surgeon who severed my nerves and did not provide sufficient post operative care. I am finding it very debilitating and incredibly difficult to carry on leading a normal life. Would this be considered a disability?

Expert ImageHandicap Expert

Dear Sam

Unfortunately, chronic pain will not be considered as a disability, as it can be treated. I recommend that you contact a pain clinic, as they will be able to assist you with pain management.

Kind regards

3
Posted by: Colyn Swartz | 2008/12/03

I had a brachial plexus injury left arm 10 years ago. Thereafter first op try to regraft severed nerves 5 &  7 - unsuccessfull. Second op burn the nerve bases to try and stop the pain - partly successfull. Still severe pain - use durogesic 100mg (morphine) patches for pain. Slight movement in fingers and wrist, no surface feeling in arm and shoulder. Live in Midrand - can you recommend a neurologist / neurosurgeon who specialise in pain relief such as mine.

Reply to Colyn Swartz
Posted by: dol | 2008/11/07

Hi Doc.
I have muscle weakness mainly my shoulder.biceps,triceps,chess and brachial plexus all on the right side(neuron problem)I did consult a neurologist(Pretoria), done test namely(MRI,EMG,BLOOD and strength test)MRI is clear I only man itch to pick up 3kg with my right arm and 20kg with my left arm. I am getting very strong pains in my chess and arms (not on medication) 4yrs and no improvement with my condition. We do not have specialise practitioners in East London please advice on alternative

Reply to dol
Posted by: dol | 2008/09/26

I have muscle weakness mainly my shoulder.biceps,triceps,chess and breakelplexes all on the right side(neuron problem)I did consult a neorologist weve done test namely(MRI,EMG,BLOOD and strenght test)MRI IS CLEAR I am starting to get very strong pains in my chess and arms (not on medication) 4yrs and no improvement but stable.
Please advice

Reply to dol