Posted by: Mandy | 2009-03-30

Chronic Middle Back Pain

Hello Doctor,

I was wondering if you could please give me some advice. I am 27 years and suffer from panic disorder, this has been for two years. Since having the panic attacks I developed sever pain in my back, it started gradually but it has become worse as the months go by and the pain is so sever that it extends right from my middle back through to my chest and I get a fright at times as it feels that I' m having chest pain due to my heart which isn' t so because I have had an ECG done and all was fine.

The pain is so severe that alot of times I end up feeling giddy and if I go into certain postures and it pulls its terribly painful, it' s almost as though I have to slouch in order not to feel any pain. Do you think that Physiotherapy will help this condition and is it because my back muscles are in spasm that I' m in such pain? I also would like to find out why my chest muscles would be so affected if the pain is coming from my back. I' m in desperate need of help.

Expert ImageChiroDoc

Stress, tension and muscle spasms are often associated with such "attacks". Physiotherapy may help in reducing the discomfort, but you do need to discuss this with your family doctor who in turn may refer you for more expert assistance and evaluation.

Posted by: Avi | 2009-04-18

I have read this article by Mandy re chronic middle back pain and it is very similar to what I am experiencing. Can you please advise me

Reply to Avi