Question
Posted by: Reza | 2009/09/21

Chronic Meds

hi
I' m on chronic Nuzac and i received my new prescription today which is A-Lennon Fluoxitine, is there a difference as the capsules are much smaller than usual?

Fluoxetine is the proper chemical name of the active drug. It can be sold in different versions which are required to have been proven to be effectively identical. The original version was Prozac, which was more expensive, and other gneric versions are the same drug and usually cheaper. They may look different, indeed may need to look non-identical, but this should not be relevant
I've never heard of any 25 % leeway such as Liza mentions --- as far as I know the law and regulations require the same dosage of the active ingredient, and that they be equivalently "biolavailable" that is, likely to produce the same amount of the active drug within your blood circulation. Your doc shouldn't prescribe any alternative form unless he/shee feels confident of this, and expects no problems.

2
Posted by: Liza | 2009/09/21

I said something, but meant something else. Apologies for the misinformation, but it is not a 25% leeway in the amount of active ingredient. It is a 25% leeway in the bioavailability in the drug i.e. the levels of drug in your blood. It might have the same AMOUNT of active ingredient, but the amount of drug in the blood could differ. Apologies. I only realized my mistake when reading CS' s answer.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Liza | 2009/09/21

Nuzak is just a different generic name for fluoxetine. Generic medicines are mandated by law to contain the same amount of active ingredient as the original with 25 % leeway. Thus the generic can contain up to 25% less, or 25% more active ingredient as the original product - Prozac. Since Nuzak and a-Lennon Fluoxetine are both generics, there might be up to a 50% difference in the amount of active ingredient. If the one contains 25% more and the other contains 25% less active ingredient to the original. Most of the time it shouldn' t make a difference, but if it does, you will need to speak to your psychiatrist about going back to the Nuzak.

I' m sure CS can give you more info.
Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza