Posted by: Maria | 2009-04-09

Chronic medication blood pressure

Good morning,
I am on the following chronic medicine for epilepticy and high blood pressure. I am about 30kg over my goal weight and just can not lose anything, I pick up more! I eat healthy as my husband is a diabetic on a strict diet. Somebody told me that the wrong combination of blood pressure tablets can cause an adverse effect, something to do with beta-blocks.
Epilim 700mg once daily and Epilim 1000 mg once daily
Prexum Plus once daily
Inderal LA80 once daily
Amlac 10mg once daily
{blood pressure and epilepcy started after removal brain tumor 2002)
My feet is swollen and I do have fluid retention.

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Maria

When considering weight it is important to determine 'where' the weight is sitting i.e. is it adipose (fat) or water weight. This is what is called body composition analysis and the are different machines that can be used to check this.

If your fat composition is well over normal then a carefully designed eating plan is what would be required. Weight reduction is a very simple formula - calories in vs calories out i.e. if you taken in fewer calories than you burn you WILL lose weight. I suggest you consult with a` dietician to assist you in this regard.

If you have excess water retention this is something that your MD should be able to assist you with by prescribing

The combination of the medications can, of course, compound the problem, however this would need to be discussed with your Physician.