Question
Posted by: Jay | 2011/09/26

Chronic fatigue syndrome

I have been diagnosed with the above.Had flu and did not run and gym for 4 days.Started running 10kms per day and gym the following week and ran 32 kms on the Saturday but got very tired and was reduced to a walk after about 28 kms.Had a vit b jab on the Monday and ran on Tues and gym and run on Wednesday and was very tired again on Thursday and did all the blood tests which were negative.Ran another 10kms the following Monday in 48.33 and totally tired the next day.Haven''t run or gym for 2 weeks.I normally run and gym twice a day

Hi Jay

Are you asking for a diagnosis? Or treatment? Confirmation? I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, because it sounds as though it has been diagnosed? It's a very difficult diagnosis to make - it's normally made on the basis of exclusion of other possibilities. There is a host of possibilities, different infections or conditions that can cause fatigue, and that's what they look for in those blood tests. Normally, when everything is negative, they go with CFS, because they've excluded all other options. But it's often a "guess" in a sense.

It may be a case of over-training, it may be affected by diet, or by another stress, but the symptoms seem to fit, especially the fact that you had flu and then the symptoms developed when you exercised soon after. That's a classic pattern in people who have the condition, so it does suggest it.

In terms of treatment, I hate to pass the buck, but there is obviously a doctor who has treated and tested, and they are best placed to advise you, so that's probably the route to go on this one. Usually it's about management, with rest, making sure that diet is well controlled, and then there are phases, where you can do all the normal things, others where you have to be more careful.

Ross

2
Posted by: Jay | 2011/10/03

Thanks for the reply.I need some advice.I am 51 yrs old and have run 16 comrades.I train twice a day for 5 days which is gym for an hour in the morning and 10 kms at midday and a long run on Saturday of 20 to 32 kms and rest on Sunday. I feel fine for the rest of the day and evening and am comfortable with this.Is this over training?Does alcohol aggravate CFS?A doctor suggested chicken soup and fresh juices-does this help?I have trained like this for years and am I correct in thinking this was caused by training too hard soon after the flu?
Thanks Jay

Reply to Jay
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/10/02

Hi Jay

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc