Posted by: worried mom | 2009-02-25

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

My daughter of 12 contracted a coxsackie virus last year and it has left her with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. She has had a bad relapse and has severe headaches, and is missing alot of school. Is there a Specialist that deals with these illnesses. What should I do? I have taken her to a Chiropractor and that has helped tremendously.
Many thanks

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is still a really dodgy diagnosis, and no proper specialist would specialize in dealing with it. Chiropraxy has no possible beneficial physical effects in such a condition, so the good news that she has been greatly helped by it fits with the bulk of expert opinion nowadays, that though perhaps tiredness after some virus infections may help to start off this state of affairs, it's basically a psychological condition and responds to treating depression where it is present ( as it quite often is ) and to practical and sensible counselling methods like Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) --- seeing a good local psychiatrist may help to clarify the diagnosis.