Question
Posted by: Retha | 2009-02-16

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

I posted my question at the wrong place - apologies!

Do you know of any support groups for CFS in SA? Also, do you have contact details of doctors working with CFS patients in Gauteng?

Kind regards

Retha

I feel sure I've had this question before --- I have no idea of whether such a group exists. CFS is still a highly controversial diagnosis, and many excellent doctors believe it is actually an emotional problem best dealt with by a sensible shrink, perhaps with CBT, whereas there's surprisingly little evidence that ANY form of physical diagnosis or treatmebnt actually helps sufferers

1
Posted by: Retha | 2009-02-17

Thanks for the reply - I posted the question based on a previous document posted by Dr Felix Pocnik on health 24.com. He explained CFS and mentioned that one could get doctor' s names from CFS support groups...

I wrote you a long reply - unfortunately I referred to 2 websites - US government department of health and action for ME in UK - and my reply wasn' t accepted by the system! These websites explain that CFS is a definitive separate illness......

Thus herewith just a short reply:
With all due respect - being a sufferer of CFS myself - a response like yours adds to our despair. I have gone the psychiatric route - a few years ago - am still using medicine for the pain, sleep etc. But the other symptoms do not respond to antidepressants... I have gone the CBT route, etc etc.
There is quite a lot of research being conducted at the moment...

Anyway - thanks again for your time.

Reply to Retha