Question
Posted by: Cheryl | 2011-04-04

Chronic back and neck pain.

I have had 4 Major Back operations due to a very bad fall 3 years ago.L4/L5 with spacer.Since the fall I also complained about terrible pain in my neck and left arm,my Doctor sent me for an MRI,Scan and X-Rays.There is evidence of the spacer at L4/L5 that has migrated and pressing on a nerve,causing my constant back pain and lameness in my right leg.My neck has a very badly herniated disk which is going to be repaired through surgery.My Doctor said that he is going to put a block in my neck - Can u explain what a block is and is this operation DANGEROUS as I am a smoker!!!!!!, I understand the operation has to be done through my neck and my vocal cords will be damaged and that I will have to go back and have another operation to repair the vocal cords.

Expert ImageChiroDoc

The neurosurgeon who is to perform the procedure is the best person to advise on the relative risks. The "block" you refer to - could be what is called a "cage" - a neural block is another procedure.
The surgeon should explain the various differences as indicated above.