Posted by: Ang | 2009-02-13

Chrones Disease

Hi my son is diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis.
I am a bit confused about something. They explained to me that one cause may be his immune system in the colon recognising the ‘ good bacteria’  as harmful, and that diary and lactose products etc with aggrevate this condition because of the bacteria? If that is correct, why did they prescribe him a probiotic if the ‘ good bacteria’  are aggravating his condition? (he was prescribed probiflora and reuteri) !

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Hi Ang
To my knowledge the cause of this disease is not fully known. Immune system problems are thought to potentially be a factor. But these are not related to the “good bacteria” but rather to the actual body cells on the gut lining.
Good bacteria are needed and too little of them or an imbalance allows more bad bacteria to thrive and may worsen the problem. Good bacteria (Reuteri in particular) have also been scientifically shown to assist in “mobilizing immune support”. Lastly “good bacteria” also assist with lactose digestion.
So keep up the Reuteri and Probiflora!