Question
Posted by: EVA | 2008/08/19

CHROMIUM

I would like to find out a little more about the vitamin called chromium? I was advised to take it cause i love eating and overloading on chocs and carbs etc which arent good for me, so im wondering what will this little pill help me with? and can i take it in conjunction with my daily vitamin (multibionta)? are there any side effects? I would appreciate any info you have for me.
Thank-you in advance.

Dear Eva
Chromium is actually not a vitamin, but a so-called 'trace element' or mineral. There is some evidence that taking a chromium supplement in SMALL doses, not more than 200 microgram per day, can assist with controlling blood sugar levels and promote weightloss. It is important that you do not exceed the recommended dosage because chromium is one of those minerals where a small dose can be beneficial, whereas large chronic doses can be toxic. Research also indicates that chromium polynicotate is safer to use than chromium picolinate, so check on the label of your chromium product to see which type of chromium it contains. If your multibionta supplement already contains chromium (check on the label), then it is not necessary to take additional chromium.