Posted by: Tom | 2010-02-22

Christmas season myth

The media often says that there is a peak in suicide during the the December holidays. However, if you look at mortuary stats, this is a myth. I''ve also spoken to people who research suicide and they agree that this is a fabrication. Do you know on what the myth is based?

Expert ImageTeen Suicide guest experts

SADAG replies:

Morning Tom,

Thank you for your question. You are correct, there is no research to state that there are more suicides that occur over the December period. Actually, there are the same amount of suicides that occur throughout the year, except the reason for the suicides vary.

I think that the myth was based on speculation only, some assume that many more people become depressed over the festive season than usual. While we do still receive calls from people throughout the festive season, it is not more than usual. At the moment, SADAG receives over 400 calls per day.

You are welcome to visit our website on and read latest articles about depression and suicide which you might find interesting. There is also international articles on various mental health topics.

SADAG Counsellor