Posted by: Patty | 2010-03-26

Chow - Pancreatic insufficiency

My 8 year old Chow has been diagnosed with a Pancreatic insufficiency. He has been on Viokase which did help. However my vet informed me that this has been discontinued and that there is no replacement for the tablet. She suggested Bovinefresh pancreas. I have been giving him 100g of fresh pancreas daily with food. However this is not as effective as the tablet and is not very pleasant to work with. Is there any alternative to Viokase. I have tried human pancreatic enzymes (Creon 25000) but they are sooo expensive. He has put on a little weight but is still thin. Any advice would be appreciated.

Dear Patty

I do not know of an better alternative. You can increase the amount of bovine pancreas.

Posted by: Sahndya | 2010-04-14

Try to get those frozen animal foods that contain animal pancreas. Vondis in Cape Town makes them and I also saw it in Pick n Pay

Reply to Sahndya
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2010-03-26

Google " Dog Pancreas Insuffiency"  and a whole site including Wikepedia comes up with treatments that you can try. Slso phone your vet and see if he can put the dog on something else.
Hope you get the info asap.

Reply to Cat Lady