Question
Posted by: Helen | 2010/10/12

Cholestrol query

My husband 33 years old was recently found to have high cholestrol of 7.5 he exercises regularly had a fairly healthy diet other than eating certain foods that were bad for cholestrol like calamari, prawns, dairy products and occasional shallow fried food etc.The Dr put him on aspavor and he is seeing a dietician to correct eating. In less than a week his cholestrol had gone down to 6.4. What in your opinion was causing the high cholestrol and will he ever be able to eat normally again? I used to eat exactly the same as him and my cholestrol is normal 5.0 and I only do moderate exercise. Does he have a hereditary cholestrol problem or is it diet related. He is only about 3-4kg overweight according to the charts will this affect the cholestrol reading a great deal?

Hallo Helen
High cholesterol is to a big extent hereditary, but if you eat the wrong foods it can also increase the levels. If he is on the aspavor and he eats mainly a low fat diet, he may now and then spoil himself with "unhealthy" food but he should try to get his cholesterol down to about 5 first if possible. He will probably lose the few kgs anyway if he changes his diet to a low fat diet.
dr Bets

2
Posted by: Elwyn Williams | 2010/11/12

I''m 53 years old (male). After trying unsuccesfully to follow a lowfat diet (my own diet), my GP decided to put me on ASPAVOR. I''m on ASPAVOR for almost 1 year. I would like to know what the side-effects of this drug is because I am starting to complain of kidney/back pains. Should I go back to my GP ? have start

Reply to Elwyn Williams
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/10/12

Hallo Helen
dr Bets