Posted by: uh oh | 2009-03-04

Cholestrol levels and other

Thank you for taking the time to advise me on my situation.

My concern is 3 fold namely cholestrol levels, rapid heart beat and birth control.

Some facts:

I am 28 years old
66Kgs and 1.75m tall
Had a baby last year May
Had the mirena inserted July 2008
Very anxious and driven person (perfectionist)
Very healty eater and excercise 30 mins 4 days a week
Low blood pressure - seems lower after the birth of my son (90/60)
Have reactive hypogylcimia
My family has a history of diabetics (type 1 and 2) and high cholestrol levels
My cousin died of heart attack last year after playing rugby game -his immediate family decided not to have autopsy done
My mom has just been put on strong cholestrol meds because she was getting emboli in her hands and feet (been checked and tested by several specialists)

I have had my cholestrol tested (October last year) and the GP said that my bad cholesrtol is high but because the good is also high, he is not concerned.

Since the birth of my son i have had a rapid heart beat - 90 beats per minute on average. They gave me iron supplements because they said that me iron levels were slightly lower than they should be. I have also not had a full nights sleep since my baby was born - most nights waking up 5 times a night.

I have a stressful job - been offered directorship position

1) Can the birth control effect cholestrol?
2) When do i need to speak to GP about cholestrol as i follow a very healthy diet?
3) Can the rapid heart beat just be linked to lack of sleep and stress?

Thank you again for your time

Dear Uh oh
Birth control especially Mirena won't affect cholesterol levels
If your cholesterol is higher than 5, Trigliserides higher than 1.7, HDL<1.6, LDL >2.6 you may need medication if you have a strong family history of high cholesterol.
The rapid heart rate can be due to stress and too little sleep if it is regular and you don't have signs of swollen feet or a chronic cough.