Question
Posted by: MICHAEL SPENCER | 2009/09/17

CHOLESTROL IN CHICKEN EGGS

SOME YEARS AGO THE C.S.I.R. CLAIMED THAT POULTRY EGGS DO NOT CONTAIN CHOLESTROL. THE OILS IN CHICKEN SKIN DO, AND THE SKIN SHOULD BE DISCARDED.

THEN LATER A SIMILAR BODY IN THE U. S. A. ALSO CLAIMED THERE WAS NO CHOLESTROL IN EGGS. THEY SAID THE TEST METHOD FOR TESTING EGGS AND VARIOUS NUTS WAS NOT THE CORRECT ONE, HENCE THE RESULT.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Dear Michael
Seeing that I was working at the CSIR when we did the analyses of South African eggs, I can clearly remember the publication and the press releases which stated that South African eggs have a 23,5% lower cholesterol content than eggs analysed in some other countries. At no time did we state that eggs produced in this country contain no cholesterol.
I am not aware of any organisation in the USA stating that eggs contain no cholesterol either. I think what is important to remember is that egg yolk does have a high cholesterol content of 419 mg per 100g or 208 mg per 50g egg. This represents 69% of the daily prudent intake of cholesterol of 300 mg.
The recommendation that adults should only eat 4 eggs per week if they are genetically prone to high cholesterol levels that can be influenced by diet, is a prudent one. If the individual is genetically prone to producing too much cholesterol per se, no matter what the cholesterol content of his or her diet is, then dietary manipulation is probably not going to make any difference and that person's high cholesterol levels have to be addressed by using statins. Eggs are a highly nutritious food as they contain high quality protein, some vitamins and iron, so they can play a positive role in our diets, particularly if they are enriched with omega-3 fatty acids.

1
Posted by: John | 2009/09/18

Very little cholestrol.

Reply to John