Question
Posted by: michelle | 2010/11/02

cholestrol &  high protein diet

I have started a really strict high protein diet to change my metabolism. I also have highish cholestrol. Is this a problem?

Dear Michelle
I am opposed to the use of a high-protein diet because it is an unbalanced way of eating, you expose your body to very high levels of total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol (all of which can increase blood cholesterol levels even further) and you can cause your body to develop ketosis which can be dangerous. If you already have high cholesterol levels then it is risky using foods with a high fat and cholesterol content. If your diet specifies that 'you can eat as much protein as your like' or 'have 2 eggs for breakfast every day', then you will most probably increase your blood cholesterol levels, which is not desirable. Try not to use this diet for longer than 1 week and select only very-low-fat proteins (very lean meat with all the visible fat removed and only grilled; white fish or tuna canned in water; only 4 boiled eggs a week).
Take care

1

Dear Michelle
Take care