Question
Posted by: Shaz | 2010/05/20

Cholestrol

Hi there, I have reduced my cholestrol from 2 yrs ago to currently
S-Cholesterol 4.76 I/O 5.05 mmol/L
S-LDL Cholesterol 3.15 I/O 3.40 mmol/L
S-HDL Cholesterol 1.29 I/O 1.01 mmol/L
S-Chol./HDL Ratio 3.68 I/O 5.00 mmol/L
S-Triglyceride 0.71 I/O 1.40 mmol/L
I still need to loose 7 kgs (now joined weight watchers) and I exercise +- 185 min/week (running / core / weights)
Will loosing the weight help? What else can I do to improve my levels?

Dear Shaz
You are a ***star*** for reducing your blood fat levels to well. Did you do this by diet alone or with the aid of medications like statins? Losing weight and doing exercise will also help to reduce these levels even further. The Weight Watchers system is excellent and doing 3 hours of exercise a week will also help to reduce your weight. Other methods of reducing blood fat levels is by taking a statin (discuss with your dr), taking omega-3 fatty acids (e.g. Salmon oil capsules) or using pro-activ margarine made by Flora (this margarine contains compounds called plant sterols which prevent the body from absorbing cholesterol).
Keep up the good work

3
Posted by: Shaz | 2010/05/20

Thanks for all the advice. No I have not taken any Statins. I joined Run Walk for Life in April 2008, have run several 10 km races and 2 x 21 km races, over the 2 years I have lost 6 kgs. I am 1.65 m and weigh 70 kgs currently. So if I can lose the 7 kgs that will be great. I will also make a point of seeing a RD too.

Reply to Shaz
Posted by: Vitalitydietician (RD) | 2010/05/20

NB Go to a Registered Dietician (RD)SA
Find one on the ADSA website
Take your Cholesterol values with you, and she/he will calculate the perfect diet for YOUR specific case.
Weight watcher is a " one size fits all"  diet- you need a Professional diet to cater for all your Health needs.
Most medical aids will pay for consulting a RD, because they are qualified professionals, who are Registered with the Health Prof Councill... not a weight-loss group.
Cholesterol/CHD is a serious matter, and should be addressed by a scientific approach / diet / eating plan to get perfect results.

Reply to Vitalitydietician (RD)

Dear Shaz
Keep up the good work