Posted by: | 2009-09-19

Would like to know what' s the normal cholestrol level in a normal human being.And if I have a cholestrol level of 6.6mmol/l is it bad for my health?

Dear Cholesterol
Cholesterol levels tested by different laboratories may vary slightly and it is always important to interpret your result in terms of the normal range used by the lab that did your tests. Generally speaking a total cholesterol level below 5.8mmol/L is regarded as "normal", but you need to check your pathology report to see which range the lab used and if they use different criteria for men and women. If their value is 5.8mmol/L, then your cholesterol is increased and you may need to make some dietary changes. Discuss this result with the dr who requested the test, to see if he/she requires additional tests to be done. For tips on lowering cholesterol, click on 'Diet' and 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy Heart' section.