Question
Posted by: Annelore | 2011/08/29

Cholesterol vs Skydiving

Hello doctor

My husband has very high cholesterol (runs in his family - currently at about 6 or 7), for which he is on chronic medication for (he is only 30). He wants to go skydiving, but is affraid he''ll get a heart attack. He''s never had one before, but I''m sure there''s always the possibility. Would it be ok if he goes?

Annelore

Annelore

If he is concerned, he can ask his doctor to do a stress ECG. This test will stress the heart, in order to determine if there is any eschemic changes or prediction of a possible heart attack. If the test is negative and the heart shows no sign of eschemia, he can skydive.