Question
Posted by: Vee | 2009/11/05

Cholesterol - seafood

I just found that I have high cholesterol - 6.1
I wanted to know, is it OK for me to eat calamari or is it high in cholesterol?

Dear Vee
According to the SA Foodo Tables, calamari, squid and octopus contain aprrox. 260 mg of cholesterol per 100g, which represents 87% of the daily permitted intake of 300 mg of cholesterol per day. In general "seafood" such as shrimps and prawns also have a relatively high cholesterol content of about 200 mg/100g. Rather eat other types of fish like grilled hake, etc which only contain about 70 mg of cholesterol per 100 g, , and have calamari only once a month.

1

Dear Vee