Question
Posted by: JJ | 2008/09/09

CHOLESTEROL MEDS AND WEIGHTLOSS

hi doc

im just curious about what effect adco-simvastatin for instance have on my weight. im on glucophage as well as the statin.

im 33 and female. when ive started on both i have lost 17kg in 3 months. then i stopped with the statin due to muscle aches and gradually gained the weight back even still on glucophage. i have been on the same weight for almost a year now, my bmi is like.... 30. i am also on a low gi diet since starting the 2 meds.

last week i added the statins again coz of angina. the agina is gone and i have lost 2kg so far which is wonderful for me coz i really batltle.

so why do i only lose weight once i add the statin and not on the glucophage and low go diet alone?

another thing, is the statin really gonna eat my muscles? sounds silly if i put it that way hey but i have read horror stories on the net. in due time is my one arm gonna be much skinnier that my other arm for instance?

otherwise i must invest in a really good supplement that lowers my triglycerides as well as ldl and up my hdl? are there supps like that?

regards

JJ

Dear JJ
See http://www.medicinenet.com/statins/page2.htm
Statins will only negatively affect your muscles if taken in combination with some drugs ( hiv medications, erythromycin antibiotics or certain heart medications). Weight loss is not a "side effect" of statins, maybe it just normalizes your lipid metabolism?