Question
Posted by: KARIEN | 2008/08/04

CHOLESTEROL MEDICATION

MY CHOLESTEROL IS 6.24 - I AM 52 YRS OLD AND TAKE NO MEDICATION. AM NOT TOO KEEN TO TAKE MEDICATION IF NOT NECESSARY.HOW DO I KNOW IF I SHOULD START TAKING CHOLESTEROL MEDS AND WHAT ARE THE AFTER EFFECTS. HAVE READ VERY DIFFIRENT VIEWS ON STATINS. WHAT IS MYOPATHY ? ONE OF THE AFFECTS. THIS IS REALLY CONFUSING ? HOW DO YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT TO DO WHEN EACH PERSON HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION ?

THANKS

Hallo Karien
Your cholesterol should be <5 ideally. Anti-cholesterol medication can cause joint and muscle pain ( myopathy) and increased liver enzyme levels but not in all patients. One has to weigh up which would be more negative to you, the side effects or the dangers from a high cholesterol. If you are not eating a low fat diet you could try changing your diet but this may not be enough. Cholesterol if often hereditary and you may be one of the people that just needs to take medication for it.