Posted by: Matt | 2009-06-25

Cholesterol levels

I' m 26 and just had a cholesterol check at the doc (prick your finger and test the blood then and reading is 5.8, a bit higher than it ought to be (high cholesterol runs in my family). Is there anything I can take / do to get it to the right level, i.e. 5 or less? Thank you.

Dear Matt
It is better to do a fasting lipogram early in the morning with a proper blood test - the fingerprick test is more a screening test. If the cholesterol is > 5, you could try adjusting your diet by avoiding fatty foods, cutting down on red meat etc. HIgh cholesterol is hereditary in a high % of people, so if diet alone does not bring it down after 3 months, you may need to start taking cholesterol lowering medication.

Posted by: Zexeon | 2009-06-25

You could switch to a sensible(healthy) eating plan and your doctor might prescibe medication if necessary. I might get my results on Mon. or later as my phyciatrist is with leave till then. Lowering your fat intake might be beneficial, good luck.

Reply to Zexeon