Question
Posted by: Jeff | 2012/05/30

Cholesterol in Coffee Creamers

I have heard that coffee creamers (Ellis Brown, Creamora) contain large amounts of bad cholestrol and should be avoided - any truth in this?

Dear Jeff
According to the SA Food Tables, non-dairy coffee creamers contain the following per 100g: 2287 kJ, 35.5g of total fat of which 32.5 g is saturated fat, but no cholesterol. 2% milk contains the following per 100 g or 100 ml: 208 kJ, 1.9g of total fat of which 1.2 is saturated fat and 8 mg of cholesterol. It is thus not specifically the cholesterol content of the non-dairy creamers that is regarded as negative (it is usually 0 mg), but the fact that the total fat content and the saturated fat contents are so high. In general, it is healthier to use low-fat milk rather than coffee creamers in coffee.

3
Posted by: Hennie Bezuidenhout | 2015/05/17

I'm on a banting program. I've been using Ellis Brown for many years and would like to know it's effect on a high protein low carb diet.(i.e. whether it contains sugar and or starch)

Reply to Hennie Bezuidenhout | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Dee | 2016/05/31

Hi Hennie, I have also recently started banting and I know coffee creamers are on the "red-list" so it's probably better to avoid them at all cost. I am in a similar situation nonetheless, I have been using powder milk my entire life and I'd like to know if you have found a non-dairy, similar tasting substitute for Ellis Brown?

Dear Jeff