Posted by: Alicia | 2012-11-28

I am 26 years old, and my cholesterol is 6.8.... I weigh 50kg, so I am not over weight.
This is totally genetic, both my parents have cholesterol.

I would like to know which of all the different cholesterol lowering drugs has the least side effects. I love to gym, so I am a bit concerned about the muscle cramps and other side effects.
I also struggle with IBS and GERD.

I am not sure if you are allowed to name any products so please email me if possible.

thank you very much.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Alicia

The first question is whether you should take any medication for cholesterol at all. Please remember that the risk of getting heart trouble depends not only on your cholesterol and your family history, but also on other risk factors, for example, do you smoke? What is your blood pressure? Do your parents have heart disease, or do they just have high cholesterol? What is your level of HDL cholesterol? (A high level of total cholesterol may be partly because you have a high level of “good” cholesterol).

Unless you have familial hypercholesterolaemia, or are diabetic, or smoke, your risk of getting heart trouble in the foreseeable future is extremely low and I would be very reluctant to put you onto a statin at this stage of your life, especially before you have children. My advice would be to go and see a good general physician or cardiologist for a careful risk assessment. The chances are high you will not need treatment.

Best wishes, JT