Question
Posted by: Anon | 2011-05-13

Cholesterol

Hi,Doc

A few questions regarding cholesterol

1. Where can I read more what you''ve written on cholesterol on this website?
2. My HDL is 2.8 (with 1.2-1.9 being normal), cholesterol is 5.9 and LDL is 3. Is the good HDL too high? What can happen if HDL is too high?
3. How does the ratio of cholesterol and HDL work, what is the normal value

Thank you very much for your always-so-complete and usefil guidance.

Dear Cholesterol
Thank you for your kind words, which I appreciate. If you click on 'Diet’nFood', 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy Heart' section, you will be able to access some of the articles I have written on cholesterol and fats. The fact that your HDL is high at (2.8), is excellent, because HDL is regarded as 'good cholesterol. You mention the figures for your cholesterol (5.9) and LDL (3), but I can't judge them because I need to know what the laboratory in question uses as their normal range for your age, gender, etc. (in similar fashion to the HDL results where you provided the normal range used by the lab). The general 'desirable' picture is one where total cholesterol is low, HDL is high and LDL is low. So if the total cholesterol is low and the HDL is high and you divide the total cholesterol by the HDL (5.9/2.8 = 2.1), one would obtain a low value which is desirable. As long as your results are nicely within the normal range stated on the lab report, you would be regarded as a patient without hyperlipidaemia (raised blood fat levels).
I hope this helps

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-05-13

Dear Cholesterol
I hope this helps