Posted by: AK | 2010-04-08

hi, is cholesterol the only sign of heart disease ? i am 34 and my cholesterol count is low (below 3). but my eldest uncle and grandmother both had a triple bypass and subsequently passed away years later due to heart attack. i want to know if there is any other method of detecting heart disease early besides cholesterol levels. coupled with that both my parents and 2 younger siblings have diabetes as well as all my aunts and uncles.

With this history, it is important to consult an internal specialist. High cholesterol is not the only risk factor for eschemic heart disease. A strong family history is just as important as a high cholesterol count.