Posted by: HELP PLS! | 2009-02-24

Hi there,
I am 27years old and last year my choletsterol was 6.2. I have managed to bring this down to 5.8 but doctor still not happy. I exercise 5x a week and eat really well, cutting out all fats as much as possible and use only olive oil and fat free everything else. I only eat red meat between once and twice a week.
And i way 54 kg, i am 1.6m tall.
What else can i do to lower cholesterol?

My doc is now suggesting 2 glasses of red wine a week or whiskey in order to bring down my cholesterol. I dont drink alcohol at all and havnt for more than 2 years now. Is this such a great idea or not?

Please help! Thanks!

Dear Help
You are already doing more or less everything that can be done to lower cholesterol by means of diet (click on 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy Heart' section) - your BMI = 21,1 which is ideal, your do plenty of exercise, you don't eat fat and if you do then you use olive oil which is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids that should lower the 'bad' cholesterol and increase the 'good' cholesterol, so if you do not drink then I do not agree that you should have red wine or whiskey to try and lower your cholesterol via the polyphenol route. There are some patients who do NOT respond to the dietary treatment for raised cholesterol levels and the ideal situation would be for you to have tests done by an organisation called GeneCare in Cape Town. GeneCare do genetic tests to determine if you are a patient who cannot respond to dietary treatment for cholesterol. You can contact them at or phone: (021) 422-5538 to find out how much such tests would cost. For patients who do not respond to dietary treatment of cholesterol, the only solution is to use medications like statins which your dr can prescribe.

Posted by: Help Pls | 2009-02-25

Thank you so much for your responses. I greatly appreciate it so much!
DietDoc i will definately contact them with regards to genetics.

Angie, i appreciate your feedback and will ask doc about the two different cholesterols.

I have done glucose and my glucose is normal however a little sluggish and on the lower side of normal.

Thanks again

Reply to Help Pls
Posted by: Angie | 2009-02-25

If your doctor has done a cholesterol test and it is high, it may not be that your bad cholesterol is high just that your overall cholesterol is slightly elevated. When you get a typical cholesterol test, you get one generalized LDL (Low density lipo-protein –  BAD Cholesterol) reading upon which to base your heart-disease risk.From childhood onward, a high-fat diet and sedentary lifestyle increase the LDL in your bloodstream. These LDL are the ones that burrow into artery walls and cause lesions. And eventually break off and ride the bloodstream into your heart or wedges in a blood vessel, closing it off. HDL, on the other hand, is high-density lipo-protein (good cholesterol)
If you are healthy and fairly active this is probably the case, which means you should request a HDL/LDL ratio cholesterol blood test to determine which cholesterol is actually elevated. You may have high levels of good cholesterol. It may also be a good idea to have your doctor test your cortisol, insulin and glucose levels.

Reply to Angie