Question
Posted by: steve | 2012/10/06

cholesrtrol

hi i did a blood test and found out that my cholestrol level is 5.6 .we have this in our family. i am indian. a cycle and am fairly fit. went to the cardio and the heart functions are are good. 38 yrs old. my diet recently hasnt been great. but my concern is as i prepare for the big races to come like 94.7 i train hard and require alot of food to maintain my energy levels. can u suggest wat i should eat and what should i stay away from. and what will bring this cholestrol level down. or should i start the meds that was suggested . just hate chonic meds . are there any alternatives
thank you

Dear Steve
If you tend to have a genetic predisposition for high cholesterol levels, and have to train very hard, then I can only suggest that you use a low-fat, high-carbohydrate and high-fibre diet. If your diet is low in total fat, it will also be low in saturated and trans fats which are regarded as just a damaging to artery health as cholesterol. The latter will also be low on a low-fat diet. By eating a high carbohydrate diet you will improve your glycogen stores in the liver and muscles and also assist muscle recover after strenuous exercise. You can consider using a high-carbohydrate liquid supplement which contains some low-fat protein such as Pepto-pro (you should be able to purchase this at a chemist). If you find it difficult to adapt to this type of diet, then I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who should preferably be trained in sports nutrition.
If you click on 'Diet & Nutrition' on this website and do a search for 'Diets for sportsmen and women' you should be able to find the many articles I have written about sports diets.
Good luck with your races.
If necessary you can have genetic tests done at DNAnlysis (check on www.dnalysis.co.za) to determine if your raised cholesterol will respond to dietary changes, or if you are a patient who will only respond to the chronic use of statins to lower blood cholesterol.
Good luck with your races.

2
Posted by: steve | 2012/10/08

thanks alot doc
one mopre question thoygh wat about these supplements we take durin races like GU and GI32 drinks ,gums and other stuff may i take these or will these also have an impact

Reply to steve

Dear Steve
Good luck with your races.
Good luck with your races.