Posted by: Rens | 2009-02-25

Cholera and water filtration - UV A + B

Would UV light (A as well as B of either or) kill the cholera bacteria? Thanks

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Yes, it would, but it needs to be the right amount of UV light delivered to the right amount of water in a very specific way i.e. you can't just put a glass of water in the sun and hope for the best! There is a water purification device called a "Steripen" that uses ultraviolet rays to purify water - but you have to use it following the manufacturer's instructions to the letter.

The UV light destroys the DNA of pathogens - both A and B do so in different ways.

Posted by: Olivia Rose-Innes | 2009-03-18

This is not something you can do as a school project  patients are tested for cholera with a stool sample or rectal swab (i.e. their faeces are tested). And testing water sources is also done in a lab.

Reply to Olivia Rose-Innes
Posted by: Yvette | 2009-03-10

I am really looking for an experement for testing water or a person for cholera. This is for a school project, and I really don' t know where else to go. Can you please help me.

Reply to Yvette