Posted by: julie Hall | 2011-08-01

Choking while sleeping

I am a 37 year old female. I am not overweight. I do have sinus issues which are being sorted out at present.

I often wake up a few times as I am trying to sleep feeling as if I am choking and can''t breathe. It is really scary. I also have episodes during my sleep where I seem to have nightmares, but I sit up or get up and scream. I can''t remember the dreams. I just wake up sitting up terrified.

I am always tired regardless of how much sleep I get.

Should I see someone?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Yes you should. It is not only middle-aged overweight males who get breathing disorders in sleep - we have seen a number of skinny young females.

Especially since you are tired during the day, there is a good chance that you have what is known as a sleep-related breathing disorder. This is not difficult to manage - provided you see someone who understands the condition. Try to get to see a sleep doctor about it.

Posted by: julz | 2011-08-02

Thanks so much for the reply.

Reply to julz