Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2010-08-03

Choking

My dad says he had a near death experience on Sat. he was eating and suddenly he couldnt breath.
He says he must have chocked but does not remember how it started.All of a sudden he could not breath and he remembers almost as if his brain was switching off kind of feeling. My mom says it sounded as though he had chocked because he was trying to breath in and made this strange sound and the he stood up at this point he says it was asif he was coming back to his sense and all of a sudden his breath was back.

He says he never coughed or anything because he couldn''t breath. He was very shaken up about it.

Now my question is, if he had choked and food went down the wrong pipe, he never coughed it out, what should he do now?
Its been 2days now and he is fine, should he see a doctor about it? I''m just worried that the might be something still in his lungs that perhaps he never got out.

Hallo Kelly
If he inhaled it he would probably have coughed. If he feels short of breath one can do a chest x/ray to see if there are signs of blockage of one of the airways. Sometimes a small piece of food or drink can cause a spasm of the vocal cords, causing a blockage, which lifts after a while
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010-08-03

Hallo Kelly
dr Bets