Question
Posted by: Unique | 2010/11/11

Choices of a Mother

I have decided not to pursue my current career path any further. I hate it and I''m sick of corporate politics. I run a small business and I have also registered for a degree that will redirect my career path to an area that interests me. I also have a family. In my heart I''m comfortable with my choices.

Before the career change materialise I still have to work. Recently a few senior positions were advertised and I decided not to apply (not closed yet) - some are within my organisation some are external. To me if feels they''ll destract me from my plan and I don''t see why I should continue to climb a ladder that I know I will abandon. I''m also worried that I will waste my time with application precess. The problem is I don''t know if I''m making a mistake. What if my new path doesn''t work out? Should I apply and fake some sort of interest if called for interviews. Basically if I got the senior role it would help financially but I don''t think I can cope with all these roles.

I hear your dilemma, and it does make sense, but one naturally seeks certainty in a situation in which that just isnt available.
Isn't it possible to work towards your goal while continuing in your present job or some similar job ?

5
Posted by: QQ | 2010/11/15

It is all about money. However WORK TO LIVE do not LIVE TO WORK. No nee going hungry because you are afriad of being " distracted" ?

Reply to QQ

Posted by: Happiness | 2010/11/12

Unique, your new path will work for you simply because its what you want. That''s the good thing about following our hearts because even when the going gets tough there is that fire from within which keeps you going.
Unfortunately for me I''m also working at my current job just to keep the wheels turning!

Reply to Happiness
Posted by: Unique | 2010/11/11

Thanks Maria.

My plan is to pay our bond and far as I can before taking another path. We have cut a lot n spending.

One needs a lot of motivation to keep doing this. Studies take a while and waking up to go to a place you know you hate is a daunting task.

My current job is also ''comfortable'' in that I don''t need to impress etc.

Reply to Unique
Posted by: Maria | 2010/11/11

I also have a plan for a radical career change and I''ve been studying towards that for years. In the meantime I cling on to a job that leaves me utterly demotivated, because I need the money. If I could scrape up the enthusiasm I could go out and get a better paying job but you know what? I''m " comfortable"  where I am and I don''t have the time or energy to devote to a new job, my family and my studies. So I tick over at work and expend my energy on the change I want to make. None of us are superwomen. If you get a more senior role and it takes up so much time and energy that you have to shelve your other plans, will you be happy in the job? Of course not! Yes we have to be responsible and my husband and I are both financially conservative. But we have also decided that we will make a plan to follow our dreams. This means we don''t go on expensive holidays, we haven''t built on the pool or extra study we were thinking about, and we certainly don''t wear designer clothes or eat out twice a week. But we''re happy, and that''s what counts.

Reply to Maria