Posted by: DL | 2011-09-27

Hi Doc,

I had post this question on Gynae doc''s page as well, but the answer doesnt answer my question. Please read and advise?

I need some help with my choice of contraception. I was on the pill (Yasmin) before, but had severe side effects, ie: EXTREME moodswings (I am not a moody person at all), headaches, severe cramps, got dark spots all over my face (which still hasn''''t gone away), weight gain (about 10kg within the first 3 months), and the worst, but not least, a beard. I have to use contraception again as I really do not want a baby right now. Will the mini pill help at all? Also, would you reccommend an IUD?
My partner and I would really like to ''''restart'''' our lovelife since he had a heart attack a few months back and was on meds which prevented us having sex ( impotence as side effect ), but our situation has changed and we are able to have sex again. Because of this, I would really want something that would not ''''interrupt'''' us, but just make it as natural and relaxting for him as possible, without having to worry about me getting pregnant.
I would like to trust my dr. but he is really old school and doesnt think all of the above has anything to do with the pill I was on. Can the pill cause all those side effects? Would you reccommend Mirelle or Yas as I am really scared the higher dose pills would bring back all those side effects? In short, what is the best contraception (preferably pill) I can use that has the least amount of side effects?I would greatly appreciate your advice on the matter.

Posted by: Gynaedoc | 26/9/2011
The mini-pill is not as effective as the combined pill. The IUCD would be fine as long as you are not planning a family soon.

I think that you should stay away from oral contraceptives. Your side-effects are due to the hormonal content of Yasmin and I do think that you will have the same side effects on any other oral contraceptive. I think that you should use the IUCD.