Question
Posted by: Shell | 2011/09/29

Chocolate Raisins?

Hi, I tend to get the munchies during the day while at work - work in an office so sitting a lot..
I try to eat helthy food, but I like something sweet to nibble here and there at work. I''m not a big fruit fan so don''t eat a lot daily. Usually have left over supper for lunch, so my question is how bad are chocolate raisins? I may eat 3 or 4 at a time and it satisfy''s the sweet tooth and I figure its at least a raisin..
Opinion please?
I am putting on weight on my tummy and thigs only - was told I may have an underactive thyroid, but tests will need to be done next year again, another doc suggested I produce too much insulin.... Im not obese just have extra bit of weight there.

Dear Shell
Any food has the potential to cause weight gain if eaten in excess. According to the SA Food Tables standard raisins contain 1253 kJ per 100g, while chocolate coated raisins contain 1747 kJ per 100g Thus the chocolate coated raisins contain more energy than standard raisins and if you eat 1 teaspoon (more or less 10) or a portion of 5 g of each you would either be ingesting 63 kJ (standard raisins) or 87 kJ (chocolate coated raisins). Having one portion a day won't make much difference to your weight, but if you have such little snacks 10 times a day you will start adding kJ to your daily intake. Abdominal obesity can be an indication of insulin resistance, but as for your underactive thyroid, you would need to have tests done to determine if you do have a problem or not. If you control the amount of energy you take in per day and start doing some exercise to compensate for sitting in an office all day, you should start losing weight all round including on your tummy. Try skipping or brisk walking for 30 min a day. If you add target exercises such as sit-ups to your programme, you could also tighten up your tummy muscles.

1

Dear Shell