Question
Posted by: Worried | 2008-11-24

Chlamydia

Hello CyberDoc

I was recently tested for all STD' s and HIV at my local clinic. The blood tests indicated that I have a Chlamydia infection, but that all other is clear.

I however had this infection with my blood tests earlier in the year, whereafter I was prescribed Cifloc and a short course of Erythromycin. The amount of Chlamydia antibodies now almost doubled.

I am allergic to Penicillin and also cannot take Tetracycline antibiotics at present since I am on Oratane for my skin.

Will a longer course of Erythromycin clear this up, or should I be using a different antibiotic?

Thank you.

Dear Worried
Are you sure you are not being re-infected by your partner? You can take Erythromycin for a week or longer, but use a condom while on treatment and if it hasn't been done, let your partner also go for a test.