Posted by: SR | 2010-08-27

Hi there. I am a 26 year old woman. I asked you a question a few weeks ago regarding widespread muscular pain, joint pain and fatigue and you indicated that I should see a rheumatologist as it could be fibromyalgia. Post Title was " Should i bother"  and i posted it on 19 August..

Anyway, my physio had suggested I see a chiro as she couldnt help me after 4 months of trying, so I went to see the chiro yesterday - after explaining my symptoms (no x-rays were taken) he proceeded to use the " Activator method"  to adjust cervical vertabrae as well as others around my shoulder blade area and lower back. I also asked if its possible that it could be fibro and he said " Well thats not a disease and most muscular issues start off because of spinal misalignments" . Is this true?

Is chiropract really a " viable"  medical practice? I have heard that manipulation of the cervical vertabrae is potentially dangerous and may not help in the long term with chronic tension headaches, which i have. There are also lots of claims that this is " quack"  medicine. I am so confused! He said my spinal misalignments could be because of some physical trauma and most likely has nothing to do with fibro. I am really afraid to go back to him as not all of what he said makes sense. In your opinion, which stream of medicine is more scientifically proven - rheumatology or chiropract? What should i do now? Continue the chiropract route or get a referral for a rheumatologist (HOW, from whom??) Does fibromyalgia exist or not?? I am SO confused now.

You can consult your doctor for a referral to a rheumatologist. Rheumatology is a highly specialised aspect of medicine which is supported by scientific procedures. Yes, fibromyalgia is definately a condition. Refer to the following link: