Question
Posted by: Lea1984 | 2008/10/01

Chinchilla

I have a 3 year old Chinchilla who lives in an untreated home that is bigger than my wardrobe. He has been in good health all this time. I buy food specially made for Chinchillas, that he has been happy with up until recently. The last few months I have been forking out huge amounts for different foods that I slowly introduce to his diet as not to upset his tummy. However, he doesn’ t want to eat his pellets and some of the fruit and veggies that come along with that. I see he is grinding the pellets down to powder, is he at least getting some food in his system. I cannot keep giving him treats as it will kill him.

I don’ t know if the two are related, but I see the outside of his ears don’ t look very healthy. His cage is clean, and he baths in his powder often. The skin looks very flaky, and the few little tufts of fur that were there, are no longer there.

I am struggling to find a vet to whom I can take him, so am really hoping you can assist :-)

Dear Lea1984

Can't help you here but I am seeing a exotic specialist vet on the weekend of the 11th of October at a conference. If you have not found a vet at that stage let me know and I will pass the vet's details on to you.