Posted by: Catherine | 2010-04-07

Chin injury

On Sunday I fell while running, with my chin on a railway sleeper, splitting it open to the bone. I fell at a slight angle on the right of my chin, I must''ve jarred my jaw to the left, but the cut is central, near the bottom. Since the fall, my jaw ''joint'' by my left ear has been sore when I open my mouth and when I bite down, I have sharp pains. My teeth also seem to be slightly out of line. What damage could have been done to my jaw/surrounding tissue, and is it permanent? It isn''t visibly swollen,although to touch, there is a slight difference.

I strongly suggest that you consult a doctor for x-rays of the TMJ joint on both sides of your face. It is possible that it is a mere tendon strain or it can in fact be a small fracture.