Question
Posted by: Jenny | 2011/01/17

Childs weight

Please help me,

I am very worried about my 6yr old daughter, she picks up a kg every week, i dont know what to do, we keep any sweets and junk food to a limit if she gets a packet of chips once a week that is alot, she goes to grandma after school and grandma says that she is very active and runs around and swim ect.

For lunch at school I usually pack 1 sandwich (2 slices) of low gi seedloaf bread with whatever spread she want like peanutbutter, oxo, jam ect with a fruit juice (ceres) fruit bar or small packet of dried fruit and 1 fresh fruit. At dinner time she doesnt really eat much and grandma says that she gets no sweets from her

My daughter now weighs 28 kg and is 6 yrs old I am getting very worried, what should I do Can something else be wrong with her for picking up so much weight?

Please help
Thank you in advance

Dear Jenny
Your 6-year-old lassie already weighs as much as a 10-year-old child, so there is indeed cause for concern. I would recommend that you have her evaluated by a medical doctor so that any tests that may be required can be arranged for her (thyroid, insulin, etc). Secondly it is vital to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will assist you with a diet that will help your daughter to lose weight, but still promotes normal growth and development. Experts agree that physical activity is one of the most important factors in helping youngsters to lose weight, so please assist you daughter to become more active. She can go for walks, swim, skip, or cycle to ensure that she does at least 30 min or more of aerobic exercise a day. As she loses weight she can exercise more actively and for longer periods.
But please do have the lassie assessed by a doctor and take her to a dietitian ASAP

1

Dear Jenny