Question
Posted by: Henry | 2013-01-06

Childs decision?

What is the age when a child can decide which divorced parent they want to live with? Also can any one enlighten me as to what is the process to achieve this? Please advise and thanks...

2
Posted by: FIO | 2013-01-24

Legally the child can decide at any age. how the decision is evaluated and determined is dependent ont he childs age, and the professional involved in evaluating the childs decision, What a child wants and what is in the best interests of the child may not be the samething, and in such cases an independent assessment by a psychologist or Family Advocate is required.

Aside from this, the age of majority, 18, is theonly time a child can make a totally independent decision, Until that age the child remains the responsibility of the parents.

The law requires the voice of the child to be heard, and the voice of the child to be given due consideration. Even a 6 month old baby has a voice, evaluated through crying, happiness, stress etc.

Ferdi, I suggest you provide information on this site instead of soliciting business through witholding information in favour private consultation.

So, in summary any age the child can decide, w=but wether the childs decision is or choice is granted is dependent on an evaluation of what is considered to be int he childs best interests as determined by a professional such as psychologist.

Reply to FIO
Posted by: Ferdie | 2013-01-06

You can email me and I will direct you to the right information as I cannot include links in my post. ferdieleroux@gmail.com

Reply to Ferdie