Question
Posted by: CP MOM | 2010/02/25

Children...Wtf?

Hi Dear CS

You know sometimes life gets to me (ha ha ok most times) living with a disabled child is not easy. I recently went away for a lovely weekend with a girl friend. No child, no man, no domestic, no " ouma" , no caregiver.

It was worth every sent as I needed the break. During this weekend I found out that this friend''s son (13) is manipulating his mother and whenever she does not give him what he wants when he wants it and how he wants it (her own fault i must say, she''s been doing it for all his life now she wants to pull in the strings)....when we came back I heard of another friend who''s daughter will be 18 in 6 months who keeps on running away from home to a friends house because her parents are not strict where my friend is.

Then I have another friend who''s 12 year old daughter has been found to be bulimic and she''ll now take her for therapy...

And I think you always think your position is so bad and sooooo much worse than everyone else, but when you just look around you see MY LIFE IS ACTUALLY GOOD i could of had THAT shit.

At least Charne loves me unconditionally, she''s always ready to hug and " loose"  (love) and and she''s not bulemic, she does not want to run away (okay, maybe she would if she could ? :0) ), she does not hate me or give me lip.

Whats up with kids these days? My mother would have beat me to an inch of my life if i tried this crap!

Love Mom

ps. do you have any kids cs? I saw you told bb that you are on cat 3 ????/ I thought after MM you have only had the current one?

I seem to have been promoted. Steill "Dear". but no "Old".
I don't know that kids are any worse these days, but maybe more parents are unskilled, providing such a lack of structure and discipline that this is a problem for the kids, and makes them kids who are a bother to others
Yes, current cat is the single successor to MM, but MM was not the first cat who kept me as a pet.

3
Posted by: Liza | 2010/02/25

I really do have the worlds'' best kids. When they visit I never have any problems with them whatsoever. So they don''t clean up after themselves if they''re not reminded to do it. Absolutely minor problem when compared to other kids. They do chores assigned to them, they never give me lip - because they know that bad behaviour ALWAYS has negative consequences for them. Even if its'' just the look of dissapointment on my face (they hate that the most actually). When they do behave I always tell them how proud I am of them. That''s usually at least 5 times a day when they''re with me. I can''t wait for their visit in June. Perhaps some of their behaviour will rub off on my house-mates'' son. I''m currently just ignoring the brat so that he doesn''t drive me crazy.

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Purple | 2010/02/25

I doubt kids " these days"  are any different to the past, it is just that their parents are probably more in tune with what they are going through and so they know about it.

If those parents beat them, won''t it just make them hate their parents more? Personally I feel that having reasonable limits and rules in place and being caring and understanding works far better. It won''t take away the problems, but it gives structure and everyone knows where they stand.

There is always someone better off and someone worse off than us, sometimes we just need our eyes opened to it when we''re in the middle of a situation.

Reply to Purple