Question

children today

Although I am a granny, my twenty-something children have exactly the same opinion that I do- i.e. that children these days are lacking in manners, considerateness and morals.
I am ashamed to say that I think this attitude is developing in my 2 year old grandson, to my great surprise, because we all have high morals and standards of behaviour.
I have discussed this with a few friends and we wonder whether this is a creche mentality. These children attend creche and then after school centres for all of their lives until adulthood.Having visited a number of creches and after-school centres I think that what is lacking is in-depth instruction in manners, morals and respect. These children have to obey certain rules but if they don' t, no time is wasted explaining and discussing, they are merely manhandled In the nicest possible way to force obedience. And they are left to behave exactly as they wish until they cause injury or grief to another child which alerts the nannies. They are not taught beforehand how to behave properly, so some kids get away with sneaky bullying for years.
I think creches and after-school centres should be compelled to have regular training in child development and social behaviour.

I tend to agree. In my experience, creches and after-school centers have different priorities altogether, and Instruction is not one of them,, let alone in matters of morals or even simple aspects of discipline, sharing, respect for others and oneself, etc. The rules generally exsit for the convenience of the centre or creche, not because they are useful life principles.
There could be a potential problem if the values a creche, etc., instilled clashed with those of the parents, but today's busy and pre-occupied parents often dotn't think of instilling discipline and calues in their children, and may not set a good example in this regard. It would be important, if any such effort wre to succeed, for there to be coordination between the policies and practices of the center / creche and the parents and home

1
Posted by: Liza | 2009-09-01

I' m apologising in advance, because this is going to sound harsh. - It is the responsibility of the parent/s to instill the correct values and morals in children. It is not the responsibility of the after-school/creche to do this. The after-school/creche only teach children about acceptable behaviour at after-school/creche. They cannot teach the children more than that because someone, somewhere is going to complain when they try and teach values and morals which are not acceptable to the parent/s due to various reasons, primarily religion.

And not all children are lacking in morals, manners and considerateness. My boys have all 3. They' re well behaved. They go to Sunday school and church without complaint. Both of them would e.g. give up a seat on a bus to someone who needs it more. I' m one very proud mom...

Reply to Liza