Question
Posted by: Pastor Susan | 2009-01-26

Children Diabetes

I have a dauhghter of almost 9 years old. I tested her bloodsugar and the result was 1.6. The is drinking a lot of water/fluids, somethimes tshe complains of her stomach (she says it feels like her stomach is turning). Her teacher brought it under y attention that she battles to see on the balck board. Every day she is very very tired, she doesn' t want to participate in sport activities, because she is tired. I am a registered BAA, so I know her level is not supposed to be so low. It is a week now that i every now and then do a test and the results ary from 1.6 al the way up to 10.2. I haven' t taken it after meals, I' ve waited for at least 90 minutes after the meals before I do the test. Are there any medication I can give my daugter, to help her with this,because of the tiredness she battles to concentrate in school.

Dear Pastor Susan
In view of the fluctuating blood sugar results you are getting and the fact that your daughter feels so tired and has problems with her vision, it is vital that you have her assessed by a physician because she could be suffering from diabetes or hypoglycaemia, which are both conditions that require medical treatment and monitoring in a youngster. If she does suffer from diabetes or hypoglycaemia please consult a clinical dietitian. It is essential for anyone with diabetes or hypoglycaemia should consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your daughter's condition, age and medications, into account when working out a diet for her, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Until we know what she is suffering from, we cannot recommend any medications.
So have her assessed ASAP