Question
Posted by: Nic | 2013-02-06

Children, colds and sport

Hi Doc. I hope you can help me. Taking into account possible heart problems with exercising while illl, I never ever let my normally active and very sporty girls play school sports (swimming, netball, PE, hockey etc.) when they have a head-cold. Despite the discomfort they must be feeling, I am under the impression that it''s bad for the heart. I know for a fact it''s dangerous with influenza and their grandfather died of a heart-attack after running the comrades marathon 30 years ago with flu. Am I correct that it''s the same danger with a head-cold ??

Nic

When a person has the flu, a severe viral upper respiratory tract infection or a bacterial infection with a fever and a quick pulse, he/she will be at risk to develop a cardio-myopathy, which can result in severe damage of the heart muscle. This in turn can cause eschemic heart disease or heart failure. So you are correct in refraining your daughters from participating in any sports when having a flu or a cold.