Question

Children and Bipolar

What is the average age that children are diagnosed with Bipolar? My child is 8 years old and the psychiatrist has just diagnosed her with Bipolar? What should I do?

Expert ImageArchive

Psychiatrist: Bipolar Disorder can start very early in life, but age of onset of symptoms is usually after puberty.

ADHD may present like Bipolar Disorder in children and that should be considered as a possibility.

I suggest that you discuss your fears and concerns with the Psychiatrist. If Bipolar disorder is not diagnosed and treated properly early on, the long-term outcome is less favorable.

There are Psychiatrists who have super-specialized in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. You might want to consider an assessment by such a Psychiatrist.