Question
Posted by: Mel | 2008/07/18

Children And Allergies

I have a 6 year old sister and from last week sunday towards the late evening she develops a rash under her skin (really itchy) and sometimes her face swells up specifically under her eyes, her temperature also really goes sky high? Is she allergic to things that could be in the food, did she perhaps eat something?

Dear Mel
It is difficult to say if your sister is allergic to foods or to hundreds of other allergens that occur in the environment (for example, pollen, animal hairs, house mites, soaps, pharmaceutical products, etc). Because of the severity of her reaction I would urge you to take her to a medical dr as soon as she develops the symptoms as the condition called anaphylactic shock cam occur which could be fatal. The dr will firstly treat her allergic reaction with appropriate medications and then send your sister to have allergy tests done so that it is possible to determine exactly what is causing these reactions. If she should be allergic to a food then we can look at the dietary changes that are required.