Regarding the flu and exercise rule to prevent the heart being involved does this apply to children as well? if my child was off last week from schl due to flu symptoms, can she be exercising at schl this week already? she is running around at sport and was also on antibiotics last wk? or does the rule only apply to adults? she is 6yrs old?

Would brisk walking while having a flue or immediatly after symptoms gone stl put you at risk or is it abou the intensity at which you exercise that can affect the heart?
Thanks you great!

Yes absolutely, same princple. Again, the virus can affect the heart muscle. In children, it might be less likely to happen, but the danger still exists.

Once the symptoms are gone, then exercise can resume, and that's where children can bounce back very quickly. They do recover fast. An adult will have cleared the symptoms and still feel drawn and tired and very weak when doing exercise, whereas children can be back to normal in no time. So the symptoms are still key - joint pain or any other pain like aching muscles, fever, are signs to back right off and recover. Even children don't overcome that as easily!

Same goes for brisk walking - if you have the flu, then it's dangerous. If the symptoms are gone, then it's OK, though it might feel terrible at first. There are a lot of 'residual symptoms' that make exercise difficult - blocked nose, tightness etc.

To me, practically, trying to return as soon as possible is not a very pleasant experience. You feel terrible when you do, and the benefits are minimal. So rather wait a little longer, and then when you do exercise, you at least feel like you're not dying in the process! In the long term, I've no doubt this is a better approach.

Good luck!