Posted by: Anna | 2009-05-26

My sister is a mother of a ten-year-old. Should she explain her condition to her son? If so, how should she go about it?

Expert ImageArchive

I think it is very important that your sister talk to her son and explain what she is suffering on his level of understanding. She can find some information about bi-polar from the internet or maybe her doctor explained it to her or she can get some info from SADAG (S A Depression and Anxiety Group). Basically it boils down that she tells her son she is suffering from a mood disorder which means that her emotional regulation ability (or that part of her brain) is not working properly. She then could describes her own mood swings and they can then work out a plan together as to how she can warn him if she is up or down and what he can do to cope with the situation.