Posted by: Ina | 2009-07-07

Childhood weight

I have been overweight all my life and want to find the reason why?

Dear Ina
There are so many factors that play a role in overweight: a) Genetic tendencies - if other members of your family are overweight, esp one or both of your parents, then you will have a greater tendency to overweight than if all the members of the family are thin; b) Family habits - eating fatty or too much food will increase energy intake and lead to weight gain, and if physical activity is not encouraged in a family then the members may also gain weight, c) Hormone problems (thyroid, insulin, female hormones) d) Disturbances in your appetite control mechanisms, e) Depression and or anxiety, using food as a crutch or reward. All these and more factors could be the cause; f) Being either an underweight or overweight baby can both lead to weight gain later in life. Think about these various possibilities and try to determine which one or ones play a role in your life.